Friday, January 8, 2021

Does Trump Lose his Pension and Benefits if he is Impeached

The short answer? I don't think he does. I saw a meme going around that talked about it still being good to impeach Trump because it would strip him of his pension and remove the secret service protection. I got excited, because that piece of crap who has been working so hard to destroy our country doesn't deserve any more of our tax money and he certainly doesn't deserve the protection of any of our service folks. But, unfortunately, I think he gets to keep those things. The reason to impeach him at all seems to be to prevent him from ever holding office again. And while that's not as exciting, it's definitely worth it to prevent scum like that from tarnishing this country with his lies, greed, and hatred again.

Here's the meme that motivated my search for hope that Trump could be deprived of more tax money and the service of people he doesn't deserve. It gave me hope. But the claims are hard to find support for.

The first article I found is a Reuters article that talks about how the proceedings would go which is interesting but didn't help.

The second article I found is an article on Mother Jones that seems to suggest that Trump would definitely lose his pension, his protection, and his ability to hold future office, but I don't see a citation for its source of information. Still an interesting read on what effects it might have for Trump.

The third thing I read is about the impeachment of Bill Clinton in what must be an archive article from september of 1998. It supports the Mother Jones article based on a constitutional scholar named John Labovitz.

The last thing I read is the Wikipedia Article about Impeachment in the United States. It's a dry read, but it's just facts... no opinions. It addresses some of the things the Mother Jones Article mentioned, but there's a pretty specific line in the article in the section called "Result of conviction" that says...

Conviction does not extend to further punishment, for example, loss of pension.

So, there seem to be people out there that think Trump could lose his perks, but in reading the wikipedia article, it would seem that the most Trump stands to lose is his ability to hold office again. And that's only if the senate verifies the impeachment and then also pushes for the extra limitation he can't hold office again. That's definitely worth it, but honestly, I genuinely hope Donald gets cut off from the tax-paid benefits he would get. He doesn't deserve them even remotely.

I'll re-focus my internet searches on how likely he'll be thrown in jail for the tax evasion, sexual-assault charges, and the gross negligence that lead to the deaths of tens of thousands of United States citizens in this pandemic. I'm still hopeful for that.

No comments: