Thursday, January 14, 2010

More Religious Absurdity

Here's the link to the article I heard the news from: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/13/pat-robertson-haiti-curse_n_422099.html

In case it's no longer there when you read this blog, I'll recap the important parts (it's a direct cut and paste, so I take no credit for writing it):


Televangelist Pat Robertson said Wednesday that earthquake-ravaged Haiti has been "cursed" by a "pact to the devil."

"Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it," he said on Christian Broadcasting Network's "The 700 Club." "They were under the heel of the French. You know, Napoleon III, or whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, we will serve you if you'll get us free from the French. True story. And so, the devil said, okay it's a deal."


Really? That's what you're going with? You're claiming not only that your concept of an all powerful being and the evil counterpart are real, but that you know what the Haitians were doing when they got their freedom, and that they made a deal with this probably fictional character, and that this somehow resulted in a natural disaster that killed thousands of people who did not make the deal?


Why do people listen to this fucking retard? He's trivializing a lot of people's deaths. He's being an arrogant sack of crap by asserting that his story is true, let alone that his religion is the truth. He's suggesting that due to a lack of religious correctness (and by that I mean the Haitian lack of following his religion), they suffered a horrible fate. So it was their fault a natural disaster struck? And what proof or even evidence is there that can support this? I'm so angry that such incredible stupidity gets national coverage, and though I'm assuming this, I'm angry that there might be people in the world who think he's right.


I'm so tired of faith being used as an excuse to spout off stupid crap. I'm okay with a little faith. I know lots of people who have faith in some religion or another. I understand that having faith can ease a person's mind, and even help with a sense of community, but when morons like that televangelist claim to be right about something like this it just upsets me. He's got absolutely nothing to back up his claim... nothing at all... the arrogance is mind-boggling. I can't prove he's wrong, but every bit of sense in me says he is, and he can't prove he's right either.


Okay... I'm just ranting. But I hope this guy Pat Robertson dies so there's one less public font of stupidity in the world.

No comments: