Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Over 1 Billion Hungry People

EDIT: Oof this didn't age so well. This was still a conservative minded post. Not having any interest in helping anyone. And I was so callous writing that. I'll still leave this post here so I can look back at it, but I care about people now. And I recognize that this problem of people needing charity is the direct fault of the super-rich who keep too much of the labor value of their employees and cause poverty. And sometimes, people just need help. Wow was I wrong.


http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE58F1MJ20090916?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

So there's the brief news article. In case the link is broken later, the article basically says that the UN relief organization doesn't have enough money to support the 1 billion people who need it.

This issue caught my attention because I'm not sure I care. Don't get me wrong. I feel bad for individuals who suffer, and I certainly don't want to cause suffering, but doesn't this situation strike anyone else as wrong? And by "this situation" I mean the one where 1 billion need to be completely supported by charity.

Why aren't these people doing something to survive on their own? What causes them to need support for their entire lives? Are we doing anything to get these people to a point of self sufficience? Or have we basically created 1 billion people who require total support just to survive?

I'm fine with the idea of helping people to get back on their feet, or to learn how to stand on their own to begin with, but I'm not okay with parasites. Life is a struggle that makes you stronger, and these people are just (apparently) not doing anything at all. They sit back and wait for someone else to take care of them. Sounds a bit like our welfare system, but that's another post entirely.

So to sum up: I think we need to get to a point where 1 billion people aren't in need of charity... where those 1 billion people can take care of themselves... farm... whatever it takes. And I'll just lay it out there... if people die... that's okay. That's a possible outcome of trying to live. If I died because I couldn't take care of myself... that's just nature... it's the nature of living. Like I said before, I'm okay with helping people become self sufficient, but not with supporting people indefinitely. The strategy needs to change, for their (the starving people) sake more than ours (the people who can feed themselves).

No comments: